This engaging online course will guide you through the history of change models and why they are necessary, before exploring Kotter’s 8 Steps in detail. Unconstrained by the classroom, you can work through the course content at a time and pace that suits you. The course is made up of interactive content that is optimised for desktops, laptops and tablets, so it’s as flexible as it is fun.
Over the course of two hours you’ll learn how to lay the foundations for change in a company or department, how to communicate before and during change, and how to know when the step is complete. This training comes with lifelong learning support and certification included.
About this course
Learning about Kotter’s 8 Steps could be your first step into the vast topic of change management. Managing change is essential if it is to be effective, as most people are naturally resistant to change regardless of how positive the outcome can be.
Effective change management allows you to communicate and reassure your workforce from day one, and gives you the tools to plan the transition period so it runs as smoothly as possible. This course exploring Kotter’s 8 Steps gives you insight into one of the most commonly used change management models.
Kotter studied change efforts for over 15 years and identified eight common errors when undertaking major change. In response he created his eight step change model and published a roadmap to change to assist companies.
His underlying assumption was that given the right process and the right leadership, any change can be effectively planned and managed.
What will I learn?
This course provides a clear explanation about Kotter’s 8 Steps to change. You will learn the basics of change management, why change models are necessary and explore all of Kotter’s 8 Steps in detail.
The Kotter’s 8 Steps training teaches you:
- What is change management?
- Understanding why change models are important
- History of the change model
- Overview of Kotter’s 8 Steps change model
- Why you need to establish a sense of urgency
- Illustrating the need for change
- What happens if the need for change is not shared?
- What needs to be achieved before moving to the next step?
- How to set up the guiding coalition
- Key considerations for planning the future
- What does an effective change vision look like?
- How poor communication damages change efforts
- How to communicate effectively
- What does successful communication of change look like?
- Key ways to empower your people to make change happen
- How do you know when each of Kotter’s 8 Steps is complete?
- How to identify quick wins
- Consolidating gains and producing more change
- Anchoring new approaches in the culture
- Key ways to use Kotter’s 8 Steps model
- Your change readiness assessment
If you’re responsible for any business change, understanding how to run effective change management is absolutely essential. However, the skills of change management are useful for anyone in leadership and management positions as they’ll often be tasked with managing their teams through challenging periods.
Following the course you will:
- Understand Kotter’s 8 Steps model for implementing successful change.
- Apply the model to a change you are looking to undertake in your own place of work.
- Develop an understanding of how to implement change.
- Ensure that your change project embeds change, permanently.
This course comes with 2 CPD points, and you’ll receive a certificate upon completion of the course and exam.
There are no prerequisites for this Kotter’s 8 Steps training course.
Who should attend?
This course has been created for those with responsibility for managing change in a function, department or business area. It’s useful for all managers, but has been created with the following roles in mind:
- Change Managers
- Business Improvement Managers
- Senior Managers
- Programme Managers
- Those designing and implementing a new process